Owning a bathtub is definitely something to be proud of; especially in city living where small bathrooms seem to be the trend. While owning a clean bathtub might seem like a luxe, a dirty tub can be off-putting and decrease your bathroom’s style quotient. Nobody likes the sight of germs and bacteria breeding in the bathtubs, which happens frequently if you don’t take care of your tub for long periods of time.
In order to prevent rust, discolouration and chipping of your bathtub, you must maintain it regularly. However, different types of bathtubs require different cleaning tools and techniques in order to care for the material properly. Here are a few effective bathroom cleaning tips to ensure your tub looks sparkly clean every day!
Bathroom Cleaning Tips for Different Types of Bathtubs
Cleaning methods vary for different types of bathtubs based on the material of the tub. But don’t be too stressed. We have compiled some easy bathroom cleaning tips that you can follow, without buying any expensive cleaning products. Let’s first take a look at different types of bathtubs and how to clean them-
Porcelain tubs are heavier and more durable than acrylic and fibreglass. However, they can chip very easily. Cleaning a porcelain tub is pretty easy but it is important to keep a few things in mind-
- Stay away from abrasive surface cleaners available in the market unless they are meant to clean porcelain.
- Also stay away from scouring powder, white vinegar, and steel wool as they can damage the finish of the surface of the bathtub.
- Gentle cleaners are your best option to easily and effectively maintain a clean bathtub.
- Another home remedy that can work wonders is mixing a few tablespoons of dishwashing soap with hot water to create a paste. Apply this thick paste with a sponge or a rag to scrub the surface of your bathtub. Rinse well and watch all the dirt and grime wash away, leaving nothing but a squeaky clean bathtub.
Acrylic tubs are highly durable, versatile and affordable options for bathtubs and are made using acrylic sheets. They have a non-porous surface that you can repair easily in case of damage. Acrylic bathtubs are available in a plethora of colours, shapes and sizes. However, you must be cautious while cleaning an acrylic tub as abrasive cleaners can ruin the acrylic sheet surface.
- While cleaning an acrylic tub, use mild baby shampoo with hot water to rinse off the germs and unwanted bacteria.
- If this method is not effective enough, another alternative is to apply car wax in circles on the surface of the bathtub to smoothly remove contaminants for a clean tub
- While scrubbing, Make sure you’re not too harsh as the acrylic sheet may chip, making your tub look worn out.
Fibreglass tubs are very durable and affordable, making them an ideal type of bathtub to purchase. Crafted with polyester resin, fibreglass and layers of surface coating along with other raw materials, fibreglass tubs are unfortunately vulnerable to scratches and cracks. The finish also tends to fade away with time, hence it is crucial to clean and maintain this tub regularly. Here are a few bathroom cleaning tips to maintain a clean bathtub:
- To maintain the lustrous shine of fibreglass tubs, mix one cup of baking soda with a half cup of dishwashing soap in a mug full of hot water.
- Use a sponge and apply the mixture thoroughly across the body of the bathtub to remove stains and germs.
- Rinse it with cold water and allow the bathtub to dry completely before your next soak.
Tips to keep in mind
While it is important to have a clean bathtub, it is equally important to know how to use bathtubs more effectively to conserve water whilst also relaxing. Instead of using a bathtub every day, you can alternate with a shower for faster bathing. You can read more about a shower vs bathtub - advantages and disadvantages here.
Besides these material specific bathroom cleaning tips, here are a few general maintenance tips to keep a clean bathtub.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaning tools like steel wool wooden brushes and brushes with metal bristles to avoid scratching and chipping your bathtub.
- Avoid leaving your cleaners on the bathtub surface for too long as the acid in these products may lead to surface deterioration.
- Let the disinfect sit on the surface of your bathtub for at least 10-15 minutes before rinsing them with cold water for a truly clean tub.
- Don’t use chemicals without any form of ventilation in the bathroom as the harmful fumes can lead to several respiratory problems.
- Ensure you clean your tub at least once a month to prevent permanent stains from forming.
by following these simple and effective bathroom cleaning tips, you too can maintain a clean bathtub for your next long and relaxing soak.